OK, so what's this Radio What Wave thing all about?
Well, it actually started in about 1979 or so, by a fellow by the name of Al Cole. He started a zine called What Wave (remember, those were the days where music was new wave, old wave, country wave so the so called music reviewers could call this stuff something besides punk...hence what wave). And he started a radio show on CHRW called Young Fast And Scientific to play the music he loved...obviously Dictators, Flamin' Groovies, 101'ers, Count Bishops, pure rock'n'roll stuff for the few that could really dig it! And few listeners there were, as that was when CHRW was only carried on cable TV and very few could actually tune in. Well, i was tuned in every week (or was it every other week?) absorbing the noise and taking notes.
Al burnt out after a couple of years and moved away, we (my wife Rena and i) took over What Wave zine from issue 5 (Oct 84) onwards to the end around 1996 when we burnt out. But somewhere in there (approx 1989 to 1993) we did a short (45m) bi-weekly radio show on CHRW called What Wave Radio that we made on a cassette at home. We always started these shows with The Gruesomes doing What Wave and played tunes from bands that were featured in What Wave zine. Not many heard this show as it aired bi-weekly sometime around 1AM on monday mornings.
And now up to Radio What Wave (a tribute to Radio Birdman, Radio Ethiopia etc) which started in Feb 2005 and originally was hosted by Speedy Mike and myself alternating weeks. Speedy Mike actually did a show on CHRW for many years called Speed City, playing punk, hardcore and lots of other crazy stuff during the 90's.
Speedy Mike had to bow out after a coupla years, but he still has the finest vinyl shop in London Ontario...
So this show has been going on a coupla years now, we seem to have at least a few regular listeners who phone in and request stuff that they know they won't hear anywhere else, so they (and hopefully lots of others) actually get what we spin.
We put on shows around London Ontario, some of which have included: Paul Collins Beat, The Young Barracudas, Simply Saucer, Gerard van Herk (Deja Voodoo), Gerry Alvarez (Gruesomes), The Famines, The Hook Up, Mother's Children, 905's, The Pack AD, Bloodshot Bill, John Schooley, Speaking Tongues, Evil Farm Children, Stolen Minks, The Stance and many many others.
We've had a TON of really cool guests on the show, everyone from The Diodes, Edgar Breau (SImply Saucer), Gerard van Herk (Deja Voodoo), Dex Romweber Duo, Liz Worth, Andy Ramesh Meyers (Scenics), NFG (late 70's punk combo from London Ontario), Invasions, Sonic Avenues and loads more. You have to be invited to be on this show, and if you are invited that means you're cool! At least by our standards!
Every once in awhile we do an actual live to air, where we get a band into the studio and hope everything works out, as we're live! We've had The Hook Up, Nasty Rashes, Standstills, Tuerto Loco, Oily Birds, Frank Ridsdale, Pink Cadillac Scat Cats and others and so far, they've all worked out great!
We also do a lot of specials...everything from all 2 person band shows, to all Canpunk shows, to all local shows, to all women led band shows to cassette only shows. Anything to challenge the listener and me, the host digging up all of those records!
And if you haven't figgered it from all of the yammering above, Radio What Wave plays: garagepunk (everything from 60's to 80's to modern), powerpop (70's and modern), protopunk, surf, Canpunk (Canadian punk from the late 70's to mid 80's), rockabilly (50's and 60's and some modern demented stuff), rock'n'roll and just about anything else we deem cool! We have a HUGE record, CD and live tape library that i'm constantly digging through, finding stuff that was forgotten or misfiled for years.
And because we air on Canadian airwaves, we have to play a percentage of Canadian tunes which makes us a little different from most garagepunk shows.
So you want to give the show a listen? Well you can tune in every thursday from 7 to 8:30PM EST at 94.9FM if you're in the London Ontario area, or you can listen on the net at:
Or, you can listen to the archived show at this link:
The shows are archived for 1 week only, then they are overwritten by the next week's show.
There's also a facebook page for Radio What Wave that has playlists, links to cool happening stuff and tons of pictures from shows.
Playlist Sept 15/2011
1. John Schooley....Drive You Faster...from the Voodoo Rhythm LP John Schooley and His One Man Band. A real stomper to get the show started as i was yammering with BradleyBoy at his well attended (ya, right, let's be fucking honest, i was the only one there to see this guy play live last friday night) gig about Voodoo Rhythm Records and how Fucking great this label is. Best record label in Switzerland, probably all of Europe! Maybe the world. Likely the universe! But all who attended the John Schooley show at The Victoria Tavern 2 years back already know that.
2. The Standstills...Blues Radio from their Human Element CD and they will be at The Spoke on the campus of the University Of Western Ontario today at 11PM.
3. catl....Working Man's Soul....from their With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place LP from last year. catl will be in town Thursday Sept 29th at Call The Office. Catl promises he'll phone in during that week's edition of Radio WW to yammer about their brand new drummer. Yep, Johnny Larue has left catl and been replaced by a Deadly Snake. Not literally, but the drummer from In The Red Recording artists The Deadly Snakes.
4. Bradleyboy...Callin' Your Name...from his Salt Gun CD. One man band who has been on many labels, including Transistor 66 and now EMI. He was here last friday at The Brass...you shoulda been there too!
5. Boy From Nowhere...Heart Full Of Soul...from Thee Cave Comes Alive LP on Action Records. Singer Jon Traut is presently in The Oily Birds who were playing with The Polymorphines that evening.
6. Sloan...Underwhelmed...from the Smeared CD from 1992. Sloan are playing at The London Music Hall next friday.
7. The Bon...Hey Suzette...from their Static Electricity CD on Boppa Do Down Records.
8. Midnite Snaxxx...Jackie...from their 7" on Total Punk Records. Finally got this one in the mail and the jury is still out on whether it was worth the long wait. Ya, it's really good, but it's not as good as some of the former bands these young ladies have been in. Tina Luchessi was in the Godlike Trashwomen, Bobbyteens and Tina and The Total Babes; Dulcinea was in The Loudmouths and i dunno what band Renee came from and i'm too lazy to go looking. Ok, maybe i've gotta spin it a couple more times as it does have that early girl group meets 77 punk rock sound...we'll let the jury decide...what did you think of this one?
9. The Beat Killers...Church Of Rock'n'Roll...from the latest garagepunk hideout download called Hidden Tracks. A genuine asskicker from start to finish. Speedy John plays bass in this combo from LA.
10. The Hook Up...Bad Summer...from their Tomorrow and Today CD. Ya, i keep playing this song as it's sooo good! The Hook Up come back to London on Nov 5th, Brennan's Beer Bistro.
11. Teenanger...Carole Pope...from the Give Me Pink LP and they open for catl on Sept 29th at Call The Office.
12. B5 Blue...Borderline....recorded live somewhere in London. Coupla these guys are in The Oily Birds who played with The Polymorphines at The Black Shire last night.
13. Stupidity...Move...from the Move CD and they are from Sweden.
14. Lord High Fixers...18...from the Is Your Club A Secret Weapon LP on Estrus Records from 1999. Features Tim Kerr on guitar, as i was planning on doing a whole Tim Kerr set as The Polymorphines had Tim produce their latest recordings at Sweatbox Studios down in Austin. Like most bands, The Polymorphines arrived way late and we had to do a quick end of show interview. Luckily, Jeremy Polymorphine and i both talk really fast, so we did a 1 hour interview in 20m flat! Enthusiasm and a love of rock'n'roll will conquer all!
15. The Polymorphines...Anna Lee...from their latest CD, The Slip.
16. The Polymorphines...Constant Reminder...from their Transistor Sister CD...they didn't play this one live last night at the Black Shire...i shoulda yelled out for it, as this is such a great song!!
17. The Polymorphines...Poor Sicko...from The Slip CD.
18. The Polymorphines...Dirty Cop...from their Transistor Sister CD.
19. The Polymorphines...The Clean and The Dirty...from The Slip CD.
20. Invasions...Jewel...from their lateset 7".
21. Teenage Head...Brand New Cadillac...from a live show at The Spoke from the fall of 1980.
Somewhere around here, The Polymorphines arrived...lost on the vast campus of The University Of Western Ontario. Not the first, certainly not the last to get lost here...but i've been told it was a great, yet speedy interview...Maybe next time we'll get to do the acoustic set that we were hoping to do.
22. The Polymorphines...Let Love Fly...from the Transistor Sistor CD.
Big thanx to The Polymorphines for taking the time to come on air prior to their big show at The Black Shire Pub. And it was a great show that evening as some of you know.
And thanx for all of the crazies that called in with requests! Back next week with more noise.
Here's a link to the archived show:
Playlist Sept 22/2011
1. LIght Bulb Alley...Who Do You Love?...from The Sound Of Things CD on Ricochet Sound. A kickass way to start the show as this is easily one of THE best versions of this Bo Diddley tune.
2. The Polymorphines...The Clean And The Dirty...from The Slip CD. These guys were late arrival guests last week on Radio WW but we made up for it with a speedy interview prior to the live show at The Black Shire Pub that evening. The few who braved the rain (WTF, do Londoners not go out when it rains???) know that The Polymorphines can rock with the best! And BIG thanx to The Oily Birds and Wormwood Scrubs for playing as well.
3. Teenanger...Red Eye Station...from the Give Me Pink LP. Teenanger will be playing next thursday at Call The Office, along with catl.
4. Sloan...Give Me That...from their Action Pact CD and Sloan are in London while i'm typing this. Good radio friendly powerpop combo from Toronto.
5. Sloan...The Good In Everyone...from the One Chord To Another CD. If they were from the UK or US, they'd probably be big stars, but we like to keep our Canadian music to ourselves, unless it's Justin Beaver or Ceylon Dionne which you can have...please.
6. Bob Logg III...Boob Scotch...from the Log Bomb LP from 2003 and Bob comes to Call The Office on Oct 2nd.
7. Bradleyboy...Backdoor Man...from the Salt Gun CD. No, this isn't the Howlin' Wolf song, it's an original.
8. catl...Cards...from the With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place LP. catl are coming to Call The Office next thursday night and catl will be checking in on Radio WW prior to the show. Lots of catl news to report, but you'll have to tune in to get the scoop from the source.
9. The Fleshtones...The Dreg...from the Roman Gods LP from 1981. Still remember the first time i heard this song 30 years ago and it still rings true! These guys really are Roman Gods and they will prove it at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario on Monday Sept 26th. I'll be the jackass at the front of the stage jumping up and down!
10. The Fleshtones...The Leather Kings...from The Fleshtones vs Reality LP...played the shit out of this record when it first came out and it still sounds great 24 years later!
11. The Fleshtones...Bite Of My Soul...from the latest LP, Brooklyn Sound Solution with Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group, Nuggets, etc).
12. The Fleshtones...Girl From Baltimore...from the Up Front 12" EP from 1980. You can never have too much Fleshtones...give this clip a look see as this is The Fleshtones the last time they came to Hamilton last year....jackass at the front jumping up and down!!
Thanx to Aldo Edric for the great video and putting it up on Youtube!! To Be Scene!!
13. The Hook Up...Minstel Boy...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout compilation CD, Noises From The Hideout! with cover art by our good pal Darren Merinuk. The Hook Up will return to London Ontario Nov 5th, Brennan's Beer Bistro.
14. Sunday Sinners...It So Lonely...from the Sweet Jam CD from a couple of years back. Montreal based combo who came to The Black Shire Pub back in the early summer of 2009.
15. Lene Lovich...Lucky Number...from the Stateless LP from 1979 and a request.
16. The Zellots...Soldiers...1981 demo and The Zellots story is in the latest edition of Mongrel Zine which you can pick up locally at Grooves Records.
17. Phil Ochs...Pretty Smart On My Part...from the Rehearsals For Retirement LP and goes out to John K who gave me a stack of his old records, of which this was one. Great sarcasm/satire on this tune.
18. Lords Of London...Time Waits For No One...7" on Apex and as above. No connection with London Ontario as The Lords were from Toronto.
19. The Paupers...Magic People...from the LP of the same name and Skip Prokop drummed on this one prior to his fame in Canadian classic rockers Lighthouse. And now Skip resides in London Ontario, or at least that's the rumour.
20. Scott Drake...Your Secret Face...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout, Noises From The Hideout CD. Scott's voice may sound familiar as he was in The Humpers for many years.
21. 63 Monroe....Bad Bad Rock'n'Roll...7" from London Ontario veterans.
22. The Regulators...That's Right, Nothing's Left...7" from 1979 from London Ontario.
23. The Boojies...Maddy...from the August Garagepunk Hideout Download called Hidden Tracks. Toronto combo, some of which are in a brand new band who will be joining The Hook Up and The Fine Print on Nov 5th at Brennan's Beer Bistro.
24. Wormwood Scrubs....Too Late To Go Home...from their self titled CD and from Guelph Ontario. They played with The Polymorphines last week in London and were quite good!
25. Midnite Snaxxx...A Guy Like That....brand new 7" on Total Punk Records.
That's it, thanks for all the call-ins, and all those people asking weird questions. Had several weird calls, that i had no clue about. And thanx for all the email, facebook, garagepunk hideout requests!
Next week we've got an interview with catl scheduled...prior to their show at Call The Office that evening.
And finally, here's the link to listen to the show...one week only and then it's gone for good:
Playlist Sept 29/2011
1. The Fleshtones....Bigger and Better...from the 2005 CD, Beachhead. The Fleshtones proved this on monday evening at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamiton, Ontario, Canada delivering another jaw dropping performance! Where does Keith Streng get his energy? How can they do so many spins on stage and not get dizzy and fall down? How many pushups can Peter Zaremba do? How low can The Fleshtones get on stage and why did everyone in the crowd get down on the floor when Peter told us to? Are The Fleshtones really Roman Gods? So many unanswered questions and there was only 1 Canadian show this year. You missed it and those that were there will never forget!
2. The Fleshtones...God Damn It...from the More Than Skin Deep LP 1997 LP. Listen to those lyrics...God Damn It!!!
3. The Mystics...Play Your Game...from their debut CD. This combo opened for The Fleshtones and they were fucking amazing! Matt from Rocket Reducers is on guitar and vocals.
4. The Mystics...Last Time...recorded live 9/26/11 at This Ain't Hollywood on the new WW mobile recorder. Yep, it's the Stones tune with an energized psych vibe to it.
5. The Nomads...She Ain't No Use To Me...from the 10" The Cold Hard Facts Of Life on Lance Rock Records 1996. Sweden's The Nomads cover Cangaragepunk classics from the likes of The Ugly Ducklings, The Northwest Company, The Jury and even Teenage Head! Fucking Swedes have better appreciation for Cangaragepunk than most Canucks!!
6. The Bon...Hey Suzette...from the latest garagepunk. com download called Noises From The Hideout. Ya, we've played this song a few times on Radio WW...that's cause it's SO good!
7. The Count V....Psychotic Reaction...from the LP of the same name and a request from a guy who is retiring today! Congrats to Kerry P!!!
8. Shakey Aches....Junk Island....from their only 7".
9. The Polymorphines...Anna Lee...from The Slip CD...and these guys are presently on their way back home after a cross Canada tour!
Right around this time, Sarah K from catl called in to talk about catl's big show last night at Call The Office. Brand new drummer Andrew Gunn made his 2nd ever appearance as a member of catl. He was last at Call The Office with Greg Cartwright and The Deadly Snakes 6/19/00. And catl were fucking fantastic last night at Call The Office!!
10. catl...A Pickup Killed My Ford...from the Adonde Vas? LP
11. catl...Working Man's Soul...With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place LP. The set closer last night.
12. catl...Hey Hey...from the Adonde Vas? LP.
13. Bob Log III....One Man Band Boom....from the Log Bomb LP and Bob comes to Call The Office Sat Oct 1st.
14. Joe Shithead and Cub... Pencil Neck Geek...from Johnny Hanson Presents Puck Rock Vol 1 CD....Joe and Cub take liberties with Fred Blassie's Pencil Neck Geek. Joe is going acoustic on Wed Oct 5th, 5PM at Grooves Records here in London. He'll be telling stories, playing acoustic and hawking the brand new book on DOA.
15. DOA...Communication Breakdown...from Hardcore 81 LP. DOA do a real show on Wed Oct 5th at Call The Office...doors at 7PM as this will be an early one.
16. Teenanger...Rats...from the Give Me Pink LP. Teenanger opened up for catl last night at Call The Office and put on another great show! Thanx for playing Agitated for me!
17. The Shanks...Coyotes...from their latest CD Skordalia and they will be at The Spoke on the University campus on Friday Oct 14th!
18. The Vicious Cycles...I Got A Girl...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout download. From Vancouver and NOT to be confused with the hardcore band Vicious Cycle also from Canada. Confused? I was, bought an LP by Vicious Cycle and was quite disappointed.
19. The Deadly Snakes...Graveyard Shake...from I'm Not Your Soldier Anymore LP from 2001.
20. Skip Jensen...Done Tried...from the June Garagepunk Hideout download, You Got Your Punk In My Garage. Skip is an active member of the Montreal scene.
21. The Vibrating Beds...Baby Tell Me...from their Transistor 66 7" EP.
22. The Zellots...Blades...from their 1981 demo and you can read their story in the latest edition of Mongrel Zine.
23. The Sporting Bachelors...Lovers But Not Friends...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP on OG Records from 1989.
Thanx for all of the phone-ins, emails, facebook comments and messages AND, all of the bands that keep dedicating songs to me whenever they play live!!! You know who you are!! Next week we'll be doing a set of Pack AD tunes as they hit London on Friday Oct 7th at Call The Office. Rory, our pooch is already excited about this show as The Pack AD are his fave band!!
And we'll be spinning some tunes recorded on the new WW mobile recorder....stuff you WON'T hear anywhere else! Tune in to find out, thursdays from 7 to 8:30PM on CHRW 94.9.
Here's the link for the archived show:
Playlist Oct 6/2011
This was an abbreviated show, due to election coverage on CHRW starting at 8PM.
1. Osterberg....Sickness...from their dark red 10" LP from quite a few years back...actually meant to play London Eats Its Own but had the record down side up.
2. Joe Shithead...The Enemy...Joe solo at Grooves Records on Oct 5/11 as he was hawking his latest book, DOA, prior to the evening's DOA festivities at Call The Office.
3. The Mystics...Metamorphosis...from their only CD and this song is a rip-off of The Pretty Things LSD. But who cares, this is a great song no matter what you call it!
4. Idol Lips...Down By LUV...from the latest garagepunk.com download called Noises From The Hideout and these guys come from Italy.
5. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from their only CD, The Sound Of Things on Ricochet Sound.
6. Pack AD....Goldrush...from their first LP Tintype. The Pack AD are playing tonite at Call The Office here in London Ontario.
7. Pack AD...Blackout...from the Funeral Mixtape LP.
8. Pack AD...K Stomp...from the We Kill Computers LP.
9. Pack AD...Sirens...from their brand new LP Unpersons which is presently at number 1 on CHRW and number 1 on the National College Charts, Earshot for Canada. Couldn't happen to 2 nicer gals!!
10. The Cramps...O Ma Liddy...from the brand new Trash Is Neat Volume 5 LP that just happened to arrive via mail as i was leaving to do this show. Limited edition of 250 on dark red vinyl and is ONLY available to members of the Stay Sick group...Cramps hardcore fans!! It's a computer version of Lindsay Hutton's Legion Of The Cramped from the late 70's/early 80's. You'll be hearing lots more of this sucker in shows to come.
11. catl...Church On Time...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11. This was only the 2nd show for drummer Andrew who used to be in The Deadly Snakes. It was a killer show and this live excerpt really doesn't do the band proper justice!
12. Teenanger...So Agitated...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11 and dedicated to a certain DJ at CHRW.
13. The Routes...Brick Wall...from their LP on Dirty Water Records. UK via Japan garagepunk noise that just blows me away with all of those crazy guitar noises.
14. Photoroman...Pourquoi..brand new 7" from some crazy Quebecois and again, this one arrived in the mail just as i was leaving to do this show. Oddly, a certain Alistair Light Bulb Alley requested this song before i even had the record!!
15. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Static...from their latest CD, Spooky Kooky Attic Static that just gets better and better every listen!
16. The Hook Up...Come Down With Us...from their latest CD, Tomorrow and Today. They are in town on Nov 5th at Brennan's Beer Bistro.
17. Elected....Alice Cooper...an appropriate way to end the show and to segue into the election coverage on CHRW...
Since CHRW is celebrating 30 years on the airwaves this month, we'll be playing ONLY BANDS THAT PLAYED HERE IN LONDON ONTARIO 30 YEARS AGO for the next 3 shows...there might be some surprises in there, so tune in for some memories for some of us and some brand new music for some of you youngsters.
Here's the link to listen to the archived show:
Playlist Thursday Oct 20/2010....The Fryfogle Years Part 2
It's fundraising time here at CHRW, so feel free to call in at 519-661-3600 to pledge your support. The money is used to purchase much needed new equipment at the station to make this, and every other show on CHRW that much better. Where else are you going to hear music, sports and talk shows like what gets played on CHRW? That's right, so pledge away...
1. Howlin' WOlf...Do The Do...from the Change My Way LP...Muddy Waters also played at Fryfogles, which was located on the south side of Dundas St in downtown London, approx where the entrance to the public library is presently located.
2. Martha and The Muffins...Cheesies and Gum...from the Metro Music LP. This whole LP received TONS of airplay on CHRW back in 1980 when it was released.
3. Joe King Carrasco...Let's Go...from the Party Weekend LP from 1983. Joe played at The Cedar Lounge in about 1979 and for his second appearance in London played at Frys.
4. Joe King Carrasco...Houston El Mover...from the self titled LP.
5. The Stranglers...No More Heroes...which sums up the whole punk movement back then. Stranglers played late May early June 1981 at Frys.
6. Stranglers...5 Minutes...from IV and one of my fave Strangler tunes with it's relentless unforgiving anger!!!
7. The Stranglers...Peaches...from Rattus Norvegicus LP.
8. Nach Dem Tode...a live track, dunno the name but we got that one from Bob Glidden who played bass in the band. NDT played at the pre-Stranglers show according to bassist Brian Lambert. Yep, 2 bass players!
9. Rezillos...Bad Guy Reaction...from the Can't Stand The Rezillos LP from 1978. It was actually The Revillos who played at Frys Sept 1981, a slight re-name, personel change in the band but still the frenzied pop music!
10. The Rezillos...Top Of The Pops...as above.
11.999...Homicide...from the 1978 LP High Energy Plan. Another great UK combo who played at Frys sometime in 1981...missed this show.
12. John Cale...Honi Soit...from the LP of the same name. Another summer 1981 show where John brought his band to Frys and put on a Killer show! I took pics that night, some of which are on facebook. This was a really packed and intense show, but as usual i was up near the front trying to absorb it all!
13. John Cale...Chicken Shit...from the 1979 Animal Justice 12". John made at least 2 more trips to Fryfogles as a solo act.
14. Zellots...Empty Victories....from You Only Get One Shot At The Big Time from Wizzard in Vinyl from Japan. One of my fave local combos from the era and they opened for John Cale and many others. John was so impressed by the band, he wanted them to open all of his European shows. Unfortunatly the band couldn't get it together financially to get over and do the honours. The full story of The Zellots is in the latest ish of Mongrel Zine, #10 available at Grooves Records here in town. And there's pictures that i took of the band at Fryfogles in the booklet that comes with this CD.
15. The Zellots...Soldiers...from a 1981 EMAC demo. Rumours are that The Zellots will soon have an LP out on Rave Up Records out of Italy.
16. Certain General...The Shang....from November's Heat LP. Certain General were an NYC pop/surf/psych/new wave combo that featured local drummer Marcy Saddy. They came to London in Aug 1981 to do some practicing and hanging out and ended up doing several shows at The Cedar, Fryfogles and maybe the Embassy (that could have been in 1984). Check out the Certain General facebook group for a bunch of pictures that i took of them at the Embassy in Jan 1984.
17. Certain General...Leader Out...from their 1982 EP Holiday Of Love which was a big seller here in London. I distinctly remember singer Parker bringing out a candelabra filled with burning candles to the stage of Frys to open their first set...they had that late 60's psych vibe ala Jim Morrison at times and were quite hypnotic!
18. Sheep Look Up...Civil Disobedience...from their cassette. Local combo who started as The VD Teens, Raw Dogs, Radio 4 and settled on Sheep Look Up. Some pretty intense stuff when they first started out. And this song is certainly timely for us 99%.
19. Black Flag...6 Pack....oh ya, the big announcement. Raymond Pettibon, the artist responsible for all of Black Flag's imagery is going to be exhibiting at the Macintosh Gallery here in London in September 2012! He's a huge artist now, exhibiting worldwide! And Jason McLean will also be exhibiting at the same time. And in conjunction with these 2 will be an exhibit at a downtown gallery (not finalized yet) featuring the imagery of London from about 1978 to 1988 including posters, pictures, the zines of the era etc...This is going to be a huge display of all of that epherma and curator Brian Lambert is looking for that kind of material from that era. What Wave will be represented at this show for sure!
And getting back to Black Flag, they played at Frys in about 1982 and then later at the Embassy. At the end of the Frys show, well after the band had stopped playing, bassist Chuck Dukowski somehow slipped getting off the stage, twisted his leg or knee and ended up lying on the dance floor in agony. Dave Napalm and myself both looked at him, each other and walked up to him. Dave and myself kneeled down to ask him if he was OK and Dave got SMACKED in the head by Chuck for his effort!! We both stood up, Dave was holding his jaw and we looked at each other stupidly...like what the fuck!! Needless to say we left him lying there...fucking asshole!!
20. DOA...Liar For Hire...from the War On 45 LP. We were sitting right near the stage when DOA made their first appearance at Frys (winter 81?? or 82) and these guys came in with their lumberjack coats, hydro parkas and looked like these HUGE rednecks that you wouldn't mess with no matter what! These guys were enormous and scared the shit out of some of us as that's not what we were expecting. You can't tell much about someone's size from pictures on records! This was the era of Joe, Dave Gregg, Dimwit and Wimpy Roy, who i immediatley recognized from The Subhumans. They put on a great show that night...really intense punk'n'roll! I took pictures at their next Frys appearance, some of which are on facebook.
21. DOA...Royal Police...DOA must have played London a dozen or more times in the last 30 years and they ALWAYS deliver a killer show!!
22. Napalm Babys....Mental Block...from a live in Ottawa CD. These guys opened for many bands at Frys and were always entertaining!
That's it for part 2, next week is part 3 plus some other bands that played London approx 30 years ago. Thanx for all the phoneins, emails, facebook messages etc!!!
And thanx to Kerry Piper for calling in to pledge $5 for every member of The Dead Rabbits and Flying Squad that appeared on the stage of Fryfogles!!
The London Record show is on Sat Oct 30th....CHRW will have a table there so come on up and say HEY!
And the night before, our pals The Cynics play at Call The Office here in London!
And we've got a big show at Brennan's Beer Bistro on Sat Nov 5th with The Hook Up, The Fine Print and The Reply...it's gonna be a KILLER.
ANd here's the link to the archived show:
Playlist Oct 27/2011
This is the final edition of The Fryfogles Years specials...for those that don't know, Fryfogles a club here in London Ontario up until the early 80's. Literally TONS of cool and not so cool bands played there over the years. We concentrated on bands that played there approximately 30 years ago, as this is CHRW's 30th anniversary.
1. UIC...Crop Dusting...from the Our Garage LP that came out in 1986. UIC were THE BEST band to ever come out of Exeter Ontario!! Fuck the rest, these guys were The Best from Exeter!! They wisely left Exeter and moved to Toronto where they became fixtures on the scene.
2. UIC...Green Lady...from the Wiseman Sessions....the BEST sessions these guys ever did!! We're still trying to get this one released on vinyl. Fred, are you reading this?!?
Some contact sheets of Ted of UIC in action.....from the archives.
3. Durango 95...Sandra Sez...from the Lose Control LP on Star Records. Way cool Oshawa combo who merged into The Purple Toads a few years later and played many shows at the Key West here in London Ontario.
4. Durango 95...Guitar Guitar Guitar...from the Mother's Day LP on Star Records, released in 1990, long after these guys had packed it in.
5. Flipper...Way Of The World...from the Album LP. Flipper only played once here, and they somehow had members of the opening band up on stage with them for part of their show at Fryfogles.
6. Forgotten Rebels...This Ain't Hollywood...from the OPM CD. This song title is presently used by the coolest venue this side of Toronto. The Forgotten Rebels played just about everywhere here in London, starting in the summer of 1980 and just played this past summer at Call The Office. That's over 30 years of obnoxiousness!!
7. Battered Wives...Angry Young Man....from the first LP as drummer Cleave Anderson pointed out to me that they played Fryfogles and members of The Romantics were in the crowd watching them!! And the Battered Wives opened for Elvis Costello at Alumni Hall here in London in the fall of 1978. I'm still kicking my ass for not going to that show! My logic at the time, was that it wasn't punk enough for me! Call me stupid!!
8. 63 Monroe...Weekend Punx...from the Rumbleskunk compilation CD as there's a feature on their previous namesake, NFG in the fanzine that came with the CD. These guys are from London Ontario and recently released a 7"....but they wanted 12"
9. Magazine....A Song From Under The Floorboards...from An Alternative Use Of Soap LP. It was a Howard Devoto show at Fryfogles and he did play some Magazine songs i've been told.
10. Robbie Rox...Reeming Me...from the Construction Site LP. Toronto musician who had a shaved head back in the late 70's before it was trendy and sang in a very high voice, yet he looked like a wrestler! Oxymorons to the max with this guy and most of his jazz tinged tunes dealt with putdowns of people he didn't like, which seemed to be just about everybody! My fave song by him is "I'll Be Fucked" where he almost sounds like Blood Sweat And Tears until you realize he's repeating I'll Be Fucked If I Do!!! Priceless!! I was a big fan and made a drunken fool of myself when he played at Fryfogles, screaming out for songs that he hadn't played in years. Yep, i got the evil stink eye from Robbie that night! And Rena ended up dragging my drunken ass home before the bouncers could escort me out!
11. Mettle...5/4...from the Domestic Animals cassette of London Ontario bands. And recorded live at Fryfogles 10/23/81. Former Demic Robert Brent goes artrock.
12. The Hippies....Nuclear Disaster...from their one and only 7"...Many years later, this band, minus singer Kelly Mulvey morphed into The Boy From Nowhere with Jon Traut on vocals.
13. Dead Rabbits...No Way...local combo who released nothing back in the day, but reformed in 2002 for a Boot To The Head (reference to the Blue Boot, original name of The Cedar Lounge which was the punk mecca back in the day)..recorded at Call The Office.
14. Dead Rabbits...Your Ego...as above. Should mention regular listener Kerry Piper drummed for this outfit of criminals.
15. The Diodes...Time Damage...from their first LP from 1978. First punk band in Canada to release a record, first punk band in Canada to be on a major label and first punk band to play here in London Ontario!! And they're coming back to London on Friday Nov 18th at Call The Office...all 4 original members!
16. The Diodes...Noise...from the Sony Best of CD.
The Diodes at Call The Office June 2010...
17. The Diodes...Tired Of Waking Up Tired...from their 1978 LP Released.
18. The Rattlers...Little Black Egg...from the Rattled! CD on Dionysus. These guys opened for 999 6/12/81 at Fryfogles...another show that i missed.
19. Goddo...Hard Years....from their first LP from 1978. Not sure if Goddo played Fryfogles, but they definitely played at Ye Olde City Hall just up the street back in 1978. They did a 3 night stint there, and me and my buddy Derek (RIP) were right up front for all 3 nights. One night, right in the middle of a song, Greg Godovitz jumped on top of our table while doing a guitar solo and we both had to hold the table to prevent it from tipping over dumping Greg and our beers!! ANd Goddo is coming back to London on Nov 17 to Downtown Kathy Browns.
20. Rough Trade...It's A Jungle...from their Avoid Freud LP. Rough Trade also played The Spoke here at the University and she made a comment playing in the rec room of the country club at the University. I've got a live tape of that show somewhere and it'll get played on this radio show some day.
21. The Mods...Step Out Tonite....from the 22 MOnths CD on OPM. They played The Cedar Lounge 2 times and drummer David Steinberg went on to play with Stiv Bators and in a late version of The Dead Boys. He's now a bigwig lawyer in Toronto but still gets behind the kit every once in awhile!
That's a wrap on The Fryfogle Years. It was a lot of fun digging out records for this one and we got some pretty cool comments about it, so we may do specials on other venues from days gone by as we preserve London's musical history here at Radio What Wave.
Thanx to everyone who contributed to CHRW's Fundraising drive during our show....Kerry, Dan, Rena, Ashley and Cory!!! Kudos to you guys!!
Next week we'll be spinning a bunch of new stuff and maybe a coupla things that didn't get played on this show.
The London Record show is this sunday at Centennial Hall here in London....come say HEY at the CHRW table!!
And we've got another big show coming up on Sat Nov 5th...The Hook Up, The Fine Print and The Reply at Brennan's Beer Bistro on Clarence St in Downtown London...9:30PM showtime!!! Here's the facebook event page:
And here's the link to listen to the archive for this show:
The Hook Up at Grooves Records, Sept 2011.
1. Cramps....Weekend On Mars....from The Band That Time Forgot LP from Trash Is Neat. Limited to 250 copies and available to Cramps fanatics only, hence i have a copy. It's all live stuff, but the best of the boots, and this track featured Bryan Gregory from Club 57 in NYC, 8/18/79.
2. The Cynics...Baby What's Wrong...recorded live at Call The Office, London, Ontario 10/29/11. Best show i've seen The Cynics do since the 1990 tour with The Monomen. The Cynics were absolutely on fire here in London and we were lucky enough to be there to see the fury! Catch these guys live at all costs!
Micheal giving the evil face at Call The Office, London Ontario Canada 10/29/11!!
3. The Cynics...Rock Club...from the latest LP Spinning Wheel Motel on Get Hip.
4. Paul Revere and The Raiders...Kicks...from a Greatest Hits LP. Last week we were playing bands that played here in London 30 years ago and Paul and the boys certainly qualify. Remember catching them at the Western Fair (10 day fair held annually here in London) and they were just amazing live! Lots of comedy, stories and those amazing songs that made these guys legends.
5. Higher State...It's Not Up To You...from the Freakout At The Gallery CD on 13 O'Clock Records. Brand new, just got it in the mail minutes before the show and had to play it! UK combo who have released many records, all with very authentic 60's sounds!
6. Cordcalling...When I Scream...from their debut CD and they are playing the Brunswick in St Thomas tonight.
7. Party Lights...Before You Came...from a brand new 7" from this trio of ladies from NYC. Features Anna Anabolic on guitar and vocals.
8. Photoroman...Faux Depart....from their only 7" and they are from Quebec.
9. Pack ad...Hear Me Out...from their latest LP Unpersons on Mint Records which is still #1 on the Exclaim chart!! And they are coming back to town Dec 16th with The Standstills at APK club.
10. Velvet Underground....promo from 1969 that may have aired on the radio once or twice. It's one of the 7" records in the VU singles 1966-1969 Boxset.
11. The Sphinxs...Time Above Me...from the split CD with Miesha and The Spanks. We had both of these bands (along with Pelt) for a show at The Black Shire Pub back in June...you shoulda been there!
12. The Pack ad...Cobra Matte...recorded live at Call The Office 10/7/11.
13. The Fine Print...Haunt You No More...from their cassette from earlier this year. The Fine Print play tomorrow night at Brennan's Beer Bistro.
14. The Fine Print...Hanging Over Me...from their CD Standing Out.
15. The Fine Print...Tonight...as above.
16. The Hook Up...'65 Has No Blues...brand new and from the upcoming CD. First time aired anywhere. The Hook Up play tomorrow night at Brennan's Beer Bistro. And it's also their cassette release party tomorrow as we release our 3rd cassette of this year.
17. The Hook Up...Minstrel Man...from the Noises From The Hideout compilation from the garagepunk hideout.
18. The Hook Up...Quinine...another from the soon to be released CD.
19. The Hook Up...I Am The Letter Writer...from the Tomorrow And Today CD on Ricochet Sound.
20. Owl Farm...45 Sex...from their brand new CD...Kingston Ontario based combo.
21. 63 Monroe...Bad Bad Rock'n'Roll....from their latest 7" on red vinyl. A band that was played on our last show as they've been around for 30 years.
22. Freddy Cannon...Talahassie Lassie...from his Explosive! LP. Freddy played The Western Fair here in London, probably about 30 years ago and he was amazing! Played all of the hits and made me smile! Then Chubby Checker came on and he wasn't very good so we left.
23. Arthur Alexander...Girl That Radiates That Charm....from his A Shot Of Rhythm and Soul LP on Ace Records that came out in the early 80's. Some of you may recognize this song as one that was covered by Teenage Head, original version came out in 1962. This whole LP is as good or better than the one track we played. Great early 60's soul sounds!
24. Gene Simmons....Goin' Back To Memphis...from the LP of the same name. 1962 recordings that still sound good and menacing all these years later.
25. Hipbone Slim and The Knee Tremblers...Square Guitar...from the CD of the same name from Dirty Water Records in the UK.
26. Light Bulb Alley....Long Time Coming...from The Sound OF Things LP on Ricochet Sound...had to fade this one out as we ran outta time.
Thanx for all of the phone-ins, emails, facebook comments etc!! And thanx for reading this far! Next week, more new stuff and probably some catl, Speaking Tongues and Soup Cans as all 3 bands are in town next weekend.
And don't forget about our big bash on Saturday Nov 5th at Brennan's Beer Bistro....The Hook Up, The Fine Print and The Reply...starts at 9:30PM and only $5 for 3 killer combos!!! Hope to see some of you out there!
Playlist Nov 10/2011....
1. The Lyres....Don't Give It Up Now...from their first LP and it sums up life. Lyres backed by Crummy Stuff at The Horseshoe Sat Nov 19th and the only Canadian appearance.
2. Siouxsie and The Banshee...Poppy Day...from their 2nd LP Join Hands from 1979. For Rememberance Day.
3. Andy Butler and the 905's....Hamilton Head...from the New Test Sounds CD from 2007. Andy and the boys are at IPO in Toronto tonight, along with Dave Rave.
4. Frank Ridsdale....The Water Road...from The Port CD he released a couple of years back. Frank's a local man about town.
5. The Famines...The 1st World War...from a 7" and they will be playing sunday at 4PM at 256 Richmond St...that was WW HQ's 30 years ago believe it or not!
6. The Speaking Tongues...Karma Blue...from their brand new LP and they are playing Saturday at The Brass along with Snowheel Slim.
7. The Speaking Tongues...Hell Down Below...from the Third Floor Sessions recorded at Ryerson 4/8/2010.
8. The Speaking Tongues...Run To My Door...from their first CD, Wild Sound which we couldn't get enough of around WW HQ's.
9. catl...Caroline...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11 and they are coming back tomorrow night to play 3 sets! This will be the first 3 set show of catl here in London and is what they usually do when they play The Dakota in Toronto.
10. catl...Parking Lot...from their first LP.
11. catl...Working Man's Soul...from the LP, With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place and this made our top 10 list for 2010!
12. The Fine Print...Last Night...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro 11/5/11 as part of our killer show last weekend!
13. The Cozyrs...A 1000 Lives In A Lifetime...brand new demo from a brand new band!
14. The Tubes...Don't Touch Me There...from their Greatest Hits CD. These characters were definitely a protopunk band and they actually used to get airplay in the mid 70's on FM radio!
15. The Reply..I'm A Man...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro 11/5/11. Brand new Toronto combo and this was their 2nd gig ever!
16. The A-Bones...Geraldine...from the Not Now! LP as we celebrate 25 years of Norton Records this weekend in Brooklyn!!!
17. Hasil Adkins...She Said...from the Out To Hunch LP on Norton Records. Without Norton Records there would be no Radio What Wave...get out and purchase a Norton LP (or CD) this weekend and help celebrate this weekend!
18. Beat Seeking Missles...Dr Strangelove...brand new 7" on Dirty Waters Records.
19. The Mystics...ESP...recorded live at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario 9/26/11. The Mystics play The Black Shire Pub here in London on Saturday night.
20. The Mystics...Wasting Time...from their only CD.
21. Soupcans...White Blues Man...from their 12" EP.
22. The Diodes...Red Rubber Ball...from the Greatest Hits CD and The Diodes will be playing Call The Office Fri Nov 18th and we'll have one of them onair for an interview next week.
23. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...from the soon to be released CD...The Hook Up were amazing at last weekend's show at Brennan's here in London!
24. The Tubes...White Dopes On Punk....requested by 2 listeners after i played Don't Touch Me There and it's a long song so we had to fade out the end.
Thanx for all of the call-ins, requests, emails, etc!!! And congrats to the winner of the catl tickets and LP, Karen Pettit!
Next week, Diodes onair interview and lots more cool stuff.
And here's the link for the archived show:
Playlist Nov 17/2011
1. The Diodes....Shape Of Things To Come...from the Time/Damage LP from last year. Recorded live in 1978 and broadcast over the airwaves of CHUM FM. Great way to start the show as there is a scheduled phone interview with The Diodes prior to their show at Call The Office Nov 18th.
2. The Cyrkle...Red Rubber Ball...from the 1984 Nuggets series on Rhino Records. Original song that The Diodes covered back in 1977.
3. The Higher State...These Things Take Time...from the Freakout At The Gallery CD on 13 O'Clock Records out of Austin.
4. The Falcons...Belair...from the CD Atomic Guitar. New arrival at CHRW of a Vancouver based surf combo's CD....i have several of their cassettes from the early 90's that i'll have to dig out.
5. The Cynics...I Need More...from their latest LP Spinning Wheel Motel on Get Hip Records. This one is half red and half black...so it looks pretty cool spinning at 33.3 on the turntable.
6. Bush Tetras...Cowboys In Africa...from their Rituals 12" EP from 1981 and for bassist Laura Kennedy who passed away earlier this week.
7. The Sphinxs...Time Above Me...from a brand new split 12" with Miesha and The Spanks...we had both bands here in London this past summer and they both put on great shows!
8. Pack AD...Sirens...from their lastest LP Unpersons and they are coming back to London on Friday Dec 16th to APK here in London. Also on the bill is our pals The Standstills as it is their record release show.
9. The Hook Up....Nerves...from their soon to be released CD and they come back to London on Friday Nov 25th at The Spoke on the University Of Western Ontario campus.
10. The Shanks...David Headon...from their latest CD, Skordalia. They are at The Brass here in London tonight.
11. The Shanks....Jesus Make It Fun...from their Dark Richard CD.
12. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray..from the Sound Of Things CD>
13. Frankenstein V...It's A Cryin' Shame...from a CHRW CD compilation called Dig Deeper from 1994.
14. Katrina And The Waves...Walking On Sunshine...from The Original Recordings CD on Bongobeat Records. BongoBeat Records is run by Diodes manager/Canadian music expert Ralph Alfonso and these next 2 tunes are part of our Bongobeat highlight. For those that don't know, Katrina and The Waves first broke out in Canada back in the early 80's and played here in London many times during that era. This is probably their most well known song and it's a good one!
15. Kimberly Rew...English Road...from his Great Central Revisited CD. Former Soft Boy and Katrina and The Waves, Kimberly knows how to get the pop out of whatever he's playing!
16. Ralph...Gene Vincent Died In My Arms Last Night...from the Sophisticated Boom Boom CD. Ralph of course is, Ralph Alfonso during his beatnik stage.
17. The Diodes...Time Damage..from their first LP from 1977.
18. The Diodes...Blonde Fever...from their Greatest Hits CD on Sony.
19. The Diodes...Catwalker...demo version from their just released CD Action/Reaction which is a re-issue of the LP of the same name with many bonus tracks.
20. The Diodes...Tired Of Waking Up Tired...the hit song from their 1979 LP.
21. The Fine Print....Haunt You No More...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro 11/5/11.
22. Danny Laj....The Match....from the 12" of the same name. Toronto power popper who regularly plays with all of the cool garagepunk combos.
23. Ludella Black...I've Just Seen A Face...from the Sympathetic Sounds of Toe Rag Studios CD i picked up at LA Mood last weekend.
24. The Brood...Why Girls Cry...from their Estrus CD Vendetta.
25. Flying Squad...Fie On You...from Four Whom The Bell Tolls 7" that came with What Wave #16 wasy back in 1988.
26. Photorman...La Ronde Des Garcon....demo from this Quebec combo and we had to fade it out as the time ran out.
Thanx for all the requests and phone-ins.....The Diodes manager Ralph Alfonso called in just as we went off air to apologize for not being able to do the interview. Sound check at The Horseshoe lasted way longer than anticipated...we've had all of The Diodes onair before, and it'll happen again some day.
And The Diodes are at Call The Office tonight...see ya there!!
Playlist Nov 24/2010
1. Dr. Feelgood...Lights Out...from the Sneakin' Suspicion LP from 1977 with Wilko Johnson on guitar. Played this as there's a documentary out on the Feelgoods called Oil City Confidential which is supposed to be really good!
2. Deadly Hearts...Hand Shake...from their brand new self titled CD...from Halifax and features Myles Deck on the tubs.
3. Myles Deck and The Fuzz...Halifax Is Burning...from the Beware! The Fuzz LP from 2007.
4. Weirdonia...Green Tables...Windsor duo whom we're trying to get on Radio WW for a live to air.
5. The Diodes...City Of The Dead...from their just released Action/Reaction CD on Bongobeat Records. This song was probably written with London Ontario in mind, but don't quote me on that.
6. The Diodes...Time Damage....recorded live at Call The Office here in London, Ontario 11/18/11.
7. The Diodes...Child Star...as above.
8. The Diodes...Tennis Again...as above. Recorded by the WW mobile unit. There's also video of this one on The Diodes Toronto facebook page.
9. Black Frame Spectacle...A Line In The Sand...from their Grady Sessions CD. Rockin' 2 piece from just east of London Ontario.
10. The Sadies...Another Day Again...from their 2010 LP Darker Circles. Ugly Things honcho did the liner notes so you know these guys are cool. And they're coming back to Call The Office here in London Ontario Dec 3rd.
11. The Sadies...The First Inquisition Part IV...from the 2007 LP New Seasons. Live these guys always toss in some obscure killer cover as their show ender...anything from The Chocolate Watchbands version of Milkcow Blues to The Birds Leaving Here. Jawdroppers that'll blow your mind!
12. Reigning Sound...Lyin' Girl...from the Abdication For Your Love CD. Remember when leader Greg Cartwright came to Call The Office with The Deadly Snakes a few years back? Didn't think so as there weren't many at that show.
13. Eddie Marshall...Moblin' Baby Of Mine...from the 1989 Detour Records compilation called Hillbilly Houn'Dawgs and Honky Tonk Angels. Pure trashy hillbilly hick music that inspired combos like The Cramps...anyone that can make winking sound like wanking and get away with it is fine by me!
14. Ran-Dells...Martian Hop...speaking of The Cramps, this is from Lux and Ivy's Faves Volume 6. Surf doo wop from Mars!
15. Alex Chilton...Bangkok...from the double LP Decade...or is it Decayed, oh no, that's the Neil Young triple LP. For all of the flood victims in Thailand and it ties into The Cramps theme of the above 2 tunes.
16. The Sphinxs...Asia Miner...from the split 12" with Miesha and The Spanks.
17. Legend Killers...Gonna Snap...from the We're Workin' On It CD from 2006.
18. Deutsches Paniks...You Can't Get Enough Of Me...from the one sided 12" First You Get The Money.
19. Cinecyde...Enemy Man...from the 1982 LP I Left My Heart In Detroit City on Tremor Records and by request for Erwin.
20. Dark Rags...On Your Own...from their just released debut CD. From Greece and they are on the garagepunk hideout as well as one of the CD's.
21. Lonesome Ghost...Haunted By God...from the garagepunk hideout CD Songs The Hideout Taught Us. 2 piece outta Aylmer Ontario.
22. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro here in London 11/5/11 when they put on a killer show with The Reply and The Fine Print (who's name i could not remember....brain farts).
23. The Hook Up...The Man Who Called Up The Devil...from their soon to be released CD of the same name.
24. The Hook Up...Silver Kiss...from the CD Tomorrow and Today on Ricochet Sound. This song was stuck in my noggin' so i had to play it!
25. The Hook Up...Minstrel Boy...from the garagepunk hideout CD Noises From The Hideout with artwork by our pal Darren Merinuk.
26. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Put A Record On...from their Spooky Kooky Attic Static CD.
27. Party Lights...Before You Came Here...from their only 7"....had to fade this one as we ran outta time once again.
Thanx for all the call-ins, requests, facebook comments and general HEYs!!!
No show next week as we're pre-empted by UWO Hockey but back on Nov 8th with an all female led band show as we remember the Montreal Massacre.
Here's the link to listen to the archived show: