OK, so what's this Radio What Wave thing all about?
Well, it actually started in about 1979 or so, by a fellow by the name of Al Cole. He started a zine called What Wave (remember, those were the days where music was new wave, old wave, country wave so the so called music reviewers could call this stuff something besides punk...hence what wave). And he started a radio show on CHRW called Young Fast And Scientific to play the music he loved...obviously Dictators, Flamin' Groovies, 101'ers, Count Bishops, pure rock'n'roll stuff for the few that could really dig it! And few listeners there were, as that was when CHRW was only carried on cable TV and very few could actually tune in. Well, i was tuned in every week (or was it every other week?) absorbing the noise and taking notes.
Al burnt out after a couple of years and moved away, we (my wife Rena and i) took over What Wave zine from issue 5 (Oct 84) onwards to the end around 1996 when we burnt out. But somewhere in there (approx 1989 to 1993) we did a short (45m) bi-weekly radio show on CHRW called What Wave Radio that we made on a cassette at home. We always started these shows with The Gruesomes doing What Wave and played tunes from bands that were featured in What Wave zine. Not many heard this show as it aired bi-weekly sometime around 1AM on monday mornings.
And now up to Radio What Wave (a tribute to Radio Birdman, Radio Ethiopia etc) which started in Feb 2005 and originally was hosted by Speedy Mike and myself alternating weeks. Speedy Mike actually did a show on CHRW for many years called Speed City, playing punk, hardcore and lots of other crazy stuff during the 90's.
Speedy Mike had to bow out after a coupla years, but he still has the finest vinyl shop in London Ontario...
So this show has been going on a coupla years now, we seem to have at least a few regular listeners who phone in and request stuff that they know they won't hear anywhere else, so they (and hopefully lots of others) actually get what we spin.
We put on shows around London Ontario, some of which have included: Paul Collins Beat, The Young Barracudas, Simply Saucer, Gerard van Herk (Deja Voodoo), Gerry Alvarez (Gruesomes), The Famines, The Hook Up, Mother's Children, 905's, The Pack AD, Bloodshot Bill, John Schooley, Speaking Tongues, Evil Farm Children, Stolen Minks, The Stance and many many others.
We've had a TON of really cool guests on the show, everyone from The Diodes, Edgar Breau (SImply Saucer), Gerard van Herk (Deja Voodoo), Dex Romweber Duo, Liz Worth, Andy Ramesh Meyers (Scenics), NFG (late 70's punk combo from London Ontario), Invasions, Sonic Avenues and loads more. You have to be invited to be on this show, and if you are invited that means you're cool! At least by our standards!
Every once in awhile we do an actual live to air, where we get a band into the studio and hope everything works out, as we're live! We've had The Hook Up, Nasty Rashes, Standstills, Tuerto Loco, Oily Birds, Frank Ridsdale, Pink Cadillac Scat Cats and others and so far, they've all worked out great!
We also do a lot of specials...everything from all 2 person band shows, to all Canpunk shows, to all local shows, to all women led band shows to cassette only shows. Anything to challenge the listener and me, the host digging up all of those records!
And if you haven't figgered it from all of the yammering above, Radio What Wave plays: garagepunk (everything from 60's to 80's to modern), powerpop (70's and modern), protopunk, surf, Canpunk (Canadian punk from the late 70's to mid 80's), rockabilly (50's and 60's and some modern demented stuff), rock'n'roll and just about anything else we deem cool! We have a HUGE record, CD and live tape library that i'm constantly digging through, finding stuff that was forgotten or misfiled for years.
And because we air on Canadian airwaves, we have to play a percentage of Canadian tunes which makes us a little different from most garagepunk shows.
So you want to give the show a listen? Well you can tune in every thursday from 7 to 8:30PM EST at 94.9FM if you're in the London Ontario area, or you can listen on the net at:
Or, you can listen to the archived show at this link:
The shows are archived for 1 week only, then they are overwritten by the next week's show.
There's also a facebook page for Radio What Wave that has playlists, links to cool happening stuff and tons of pictures from shows.
Radio What Wave Playlist Thursday Aug 9/2012
When i arrived to do the show, there was a pre-recorded segment airing...(ie nobody was at the station and they were playing some show that had been broadcast prior) so i hijacked the station and started at about 5:30PM, hence the longer playlist.
1. X Ray Spex....Let's Submerge...from their Germ Free Adolescents LP from 1978. 'We're going down....to the the underground' has always been a battle call for underground music in my books!!
3. Eddie Coffin and His Invisible Men...Invisible Boogie....Hamilton blues punk combo.
4. Eddie Coffin and His Invisible Men...Them Alley Cat Blues...as above. Crude, rude and fun blues the way it should be done!
5. Bobby Fuller 4....Nervous Breakdown with a promo for a show on Friday Aug 10th...only $1 at the door!
6. Light Bulb Alley....Pepper Spray....from the Garagepunk Hideout compilation CD, We Love Trash!
7. The Hypnotics...Here She Comes Now...from their Static Fuzz Radio LP and they will be playing tonight in Windsor at FM Lounge. And singer/guitarist Dave has a radio show called Revolution Rock, every tuesday 10:30AM - 12 Noon on CJAM out of Windsor University...well worth checking out!
8. The Dustaphonics...Catwoman's Strut...from their Party Girl CD on Dirty Water Records.
9. The Blue Demons...Cougar Country...from a new 7" on Boppa Do Down Records outta Toronto.
10. Drive Train...Time Is Of The Essence...7" on Tombstone Records from 1988.
11. Wax Mannequin..R&R WND....an abbreviation for Rock'n'roll will never die and from The Price CD and a request.
12. Familiar Fiends...Shut Up Little Man...from a brand new 7" compilation called BTFD Rock Vol 1 and from Brantford Ontario...about an hour east of sleepy London Ontario.
13. Tyranna...My Neighbour....from the recent Rave Up LP and this particular song was recorded at The Edge (Toronto new wave/punk club that closed down June 1981) as Wayne/Jayne County was recording a live LP there that night and someone offered to record Tyranna as well.
14. Evil Eyes...Honey Please...from their brand new 7" and we've been informed that drummer Craig Leather Upper is doing his last show with the band tonite at Mitzi's in Toronto.
15. Persian Claws....Mysterious Mystery...from a demo and goes out to Rufus Noble Savage as we were talking about this band the other day and i said this was my fave song by them.
16. Radio Birdman....Aloha Steve and Danno...from a 7" and goes out to Mike Baarda as he asked about Chris Masuak who will be at Call The Office on Sept 28th doing Birdman, Screaming Tribesmen, Hitmen, New Christs and other songs from his long illustrious career.
17. New Christs...Born Out Of Time...from the Detritus 12". One of those songs that just bleeds honesty and energy!!! I'm trying to convince Chris Masuak to play this song when he comes to London....any help appreciated!
18. The Hitmen...Rock'n'Roll Soldiers...from the 78-82 LP on Survival Records.
19. 63 Monroe...Strike 3...from their Rave Up LP which collects some of their early tracks. Singer Steven R Stunning and his fiancee have a Buck And Doe happening this weekend at Call The Office with 63 Monroe, Johnny Terrien, Alcohollys, Jayne Mansfield's Head and several other bands playing.
20. 63 Monroe...Give 'em Up....recorded on closing night at The Cedar Lounge, May1/82.
21. 63 Monroe...Hijack Victim...from the Rave Up LP.
22. Alcohollys...don't know the name of the song, but it was recorded at Call The Office 7/23/12.
23. Fist City...Buried....this is the start of our La Ti Da Records special as we received a bunch of new releases....and Fist City come to London monday Sept 3rd...
24. Tranzmitors...Concrete Depression....another brand new La Ti Da release.
25. Needles/Pins....Getting On Home...another brand new La Ti Da release from this Vancouver power/pop styled combo.
26. React....Sounds That I've Heard...another brand new La Ti Da release. 2 members of The Tranzmitors form a new combo that ventures into late 60's freakbeat style sounds!
27. Ballantynes....Misery....yet another brand new La Ti Da release.
28. Ballantynes...The Railtown Abbey...from their previous La Ti Da 7" and a fave around Radio WW!
29. The Reply...Memphis Train...since we're on a soul kick, let's play this demo from our fave soul/mod/garage/R&B combo from Toronto.
30. The Living Deadbeats...Beauty Of The Rose...from their recent LP.
31. The Bomboras...He's Waiting....recorded live at Call The Office, 11/98. That was the night that was the night keyboardist Jake Cavaliere set his keyboard on fire!! Obviously part of the act, but it was a sight to behold...no pics from that night unfortunatly.
32. UIC....What I Want....recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/85 and had to cut this short as the clock on the wall says it's time for Ryan In The Red to takeover with his Freakout show!!!
Back again next week with a special called....E L V I S...That's The Way to Spell Success!
It's the 35th anniversary of The King's passing so we're gonna play some tributes to Elvis, poke some fun at him and you'll hear some songs you won't hear anywhere else, all in the name of Elvis! Here's a link to the facebook event for the show:
And here's a link to this show and a few previous shows:
Thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails, facebook messages and HEYS!!!
Radio What Wave Playlist.....Aug 16/2012
For this particular show, we started one hour early, 5PM and played London Ontario combos from the late 70's up to about 1990. The reason, we're doing a big show on Oct 26th, called Underground Graphics London 1977 to 1990 which will be a visual display of the posters, zines, artwork etc from that era. This visual display will be at Forest City Gallery here in London. And for opening night, we've got a big bash planned featuring 4 local bands from the above era reuniting for the night; The Enemas, NFG, The Zellots and Uranus. It'll be an action packed night of rock'n'roll! And if that isn't enough, we're bringing back our zine, What Wave for an all local issue that will be released at the opening of the show. We're also releasing a 90m cassette of almost all unreleased tunes from local bands from the 1977 to 1990 era. Some of those tunes may have been played in part 1 of the show.
Part 1.....London Ontario bands
1. NFG....Weekend Punx....recorded live in the late 70's/early 80's...no one is sure where it was recorded.
2. UIC....Telephone...recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/85
3. The Finks...Don't Bring Me Down....1987 demo
4. Evil Hoodoos....Just Like Me....live recording, possibly from The Brunswick Hotel.
5. B5 Blue...Lift Up Your Hood....live recording from The Brunswick Hotel.
6. Sheep Look Up...Civil Disobedience...from a cassette they released in 1982.
7. Radio 4...The Remedy...early 80's demo recorded by Chris Richards.
8. The Zellots...Blades...1980 demo.
9. The Generics....I Wanted To Be A Punk....1983 basement demo.
10. Condo Christ....Patriotic Fever...demo
11. The Terminals...Spiderman...from a retrospective CD called Violence As Usual.
12. The Stoves...Can't Slow Down...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 1979.
13. Uranus....Dixie Fried...from a live broadcast on CFNY 1980.
14. The Sci-Phonics....7 Nights To Rock...recorded live at Worley Roadhouse 12/5/92
15. Tuerto Loco....Nancy Sinatra...recorded live on Radio What Wave 5/12/11.
And that's the end of part 1....this portion of the show, should be archived for about 2 weeks at:http://www.chrwradio.ca/audio/by/title/out_to_hunch
Part 2....ELVIS That's The Way To Spell Success...our trib to Elvis who passed away 35 years ago on the day this show aired.
16.Elvis...Heartbreak Hotel...live in Little Rock 5/16/56
17. Elvis...Interview after the above show in Little Rock.
18. Elvis...I'll Never Let You Go...
19. Elvis...That's All Right.
20 Orion....Rockabilly Rebel...from the Rockabilly LP from 1980 on Sun Records. This guy sang, moved and kind of looked like Elvis, but for one thing. He wore a mask so you couldn't tell his real identity. But the chicks dug it, so Orion was able to have a career milking the dead Elvis schtick. He was killed in a botched robbery several years after retiring the act.
21. Orion....Lover Please...from the 1979 LP. Reborn on Sun Records.
22. Janice K....Hard Headed Woman...from a 1987 home demo. Janice K is from Nebraska and is one of the few female Elvis acts. She has the chops to back it up, as she saw Elvis live many times and was even a guest at one of the King's many parties. Janice K has been featured on many of the mainstream talk shows (Oprah, Inside Edition etc) the mainstream press (People magazine) and even several What Wave cassettes!
23. Janice K...One Night...as above.
24. El Vez...Hurarches Azules...from the Graciasland CD on SFTRI. The Mexican Elvis, and like Janice K has had lots of mainstream press. El Vez was formerly in a punk band that you probably know of, The Zeros.
25. Boy From Nowhere....Burnin' Love...1987 demo from local rock'n'roll combo.
26. Frank Ridsdale...Mystery Train...recorded live on Radio WW 10/16/10.
27. Cowboy Project...All Shook Up...brand new local combo who could have members that are also in The Kards and/or Robbie Antone's Blues Machine.
28. Cowboy Project...Jailhouse Rock...as above.
29. Jane Doe...There's A Guy Works Down The Chipstore Swears He's Elvis...local combo from the mid 80's who released just this one 7".
30. Peter Singh...Elvis I'm On The Phone...1982 7" on Albion Records in which Elvis comes on at the end and explains that he's not really dead.
31. The Supreme Bagg Team...Crankin' With Elvis...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP that we released in 1989 on OG Records.
32. Deja Voodoo....Let Elvis Die...from It Came From Canada Volume 5, 1989 OG Records.
33. Chris Houston...Baby Jesus Looks Like Elvis...from It Came From Canada Volume 3, 1988 OG Records. Chris was a former member of The Forgotten Rebels....
34. Forgotten Rebels...Elvis Is Dead...from the In Love With The System LP on Star Records.
35. Satan's Cheerleaders...Tribute To Elvis...from the Infinity CD on SFTRI. That's Vampira doing the double tracked vocals.
36. Crawlspace...The Devil Talks In Tongues...from the In The Gospel Zone LP on Bona Fide Records 1988.
37. Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper...(619) 239-KING...from the Root Hog or Die LP. I could not find a copy of Elvis Is Everywhere, their semi-hit!
38. Gun Club...For The Love Of Ivy...from their debut, 1981's Fire Of Love with the immortal words; 'All Dressed Up Like An Elvis From Hell'.
39. Janis Martin...My Boy Elvis...from the Wild Wild Young Woman compilation LP on Rounder Records.
40. Wanda Jackson...closes the show talking about Elvis as we've run out of time once more.
Thanx for all the crazy phone calls, emails, facebook messages etc...this 2 parter was a blast to do!
The show is archived for a couple of weeks at:
Next show, Thursday Aug 23rd, 6PM EST is going to be an all female show to show some solidarity with the women of Pussy Riot who have been found guilty of 'hooliganism'.
Radio What Wave Playlist Aug 23/2012 All female led band show as our tribute/show of solidarity for the ladies of Pussy Riot!
1. X Ray Spex...Oh Bondage, Up Yours....from the Germ Free Adolescents CD. Anti bondage song to start the show.
2. Poison Girls...Persons Unknown...from a split 7" on Crass Records from 1980.
3. Poison Girls...Jump Mama Jump...from the Hex LP on Crass Records 1979.
4. Crass...Systematic Death...from the Penis Envy LP on Crass Records.
5. The Hook Up...Church Belles...from the Call Up The Devil CD. The Hook Up are moving to Hamilton Ontario very soon and will be back playing in this area again.
6. The Curse...Killer Bees...from their only 7". The first all female punk band on the Toronto scene.
7. The Poles...CN Tower...from their 1977 single.
8. The Hippies...Nuclear Disaster...1982 7" from London Ontario.
9. The Zellots...Blades...1980 demo from London Ontario. The Zellots will be reuniting on Oct 26th for our opening party of the Underground Graphics London Ontario 1977 to 1990 show.
10. The Lunachicks...Get Off The Road...from a double 7".
11. Lost Patrol...No Escape...from their very first single and only record that features original vocalist Chris Larche.
12. The Stolen Minks...Bring It...from their High Kicks CD.
13. Big Maybelle...One Monkey Don't Stop The Show...1954 session on Okeh Records.
14. Wanda Jackson...Riot In Cell Block # 9...from the Heart Trouble CD and this features Lux and Ivy of The Cramps.
15. Jane Doe...Dance With Me Henry...local single from the mid 80's that featured a number of prominent locals.
16. Celia And The Mutations...Mony Mony...1977 single with The Stranglers as the backup band.
17. Joan Jett...Roadrunner...from the Fit To Be Tied CD, a greatest hits compilation.
18. The Cubes...On A Leash...from their 1979 7" on Tremor Records.
19. White Lung...Viva La Rat...from their It's The Evil CD.
20. Meow....Kill Kill Kill...from their first 7" on Twist Like This Records out of Texas. The band was from Vancouver and released an excellent CD on Mint Records and features Neko Case on drums and vocals.
21. Meow... Catastrophe...as above.
22. Plasmatics...Monkey Suit...from their first LP, New Hope For The Wretched from 1980 on Stiff Records.
23. Stolen Minks...Minks Riot...from their very first CD. Halifax all girl garagepunk combo who came to London a few times and rocked the house!
24. Vagiants...Alright...from a promo CD and recorded right here in London at Call The Office. This features J-Rod on vocals and guitar, who went on to....
25. Angry Dragons...Snake Apartment...from their first 7".
26. Tyranna...Shockface...from the Rave Up LP. Late 70's Toronto punkers who finally get a full length.
27. Eliza and the Strange...Baby Don't Be Nice...from their self titled debut LP. They've since renamed themselves Bloody Diamonds and are coming to London the last thursday of September.
Out of time...thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails etc. Back next week at the same time.
Here's the link to the archived show:
Radio What Wave Playlist....Aug 30/2012
1. UIC...Crop Dusting... recorded live at Call The Office in London Ontario 3/16/85
UIC at The Shamrock in Lucan Ontario 1984
2. Elvis...Blue Moon Of Kentucky...since Aug 31st is a blue moon, this song seemed somewhat appropriate.
3. Almighty Rhombus...Even Though...brand new from this Sudbury Ontario combo who deliver the pop.
4. Marvelous Beauhunks...Kickin' Around...from their Do Not Resuscitate CD. Oshawa combo from the early 90's who have reformed.
5. Budokan...All We Know Is Rock'n'Roll....from their Spin A Little Gold CD. Victoria BC combo, some of whom played in Bum.
6. Blue Demons...Cougar Country....from their recent Boppa Do Down single. Toronto instro combo who wear masks.
7. Pow Wows...Killing Me...from their single on Get Hip Records. Outta Toronto.
8. Aunt Beezy...Crawl Around...Toronto area combo of which there may be some Von Drats in this band.
9. Living Deadbeats....Lost...from their recent LP. Vancouver combo.
10. Redline...IRA....1983 demo from this London Ontario combo, of which one member is presently in Living Deadbeats.
11. Magic Christian...Teenage Head...from the recent single on Schizophrenic Records. Also features X Teenage Head guitarist Gord Lewis and singer Dave Rave.
Cyril Jordan's guitars, Magic Christian, Hamilton Ontario 1/20/2009
12. Artful Dodger...Think Think...from their 1975 debut LP and goes out to guitarist Gary Cox who passed away recently.
13. Flamin' Groovies...Shake Some Action...from the 1983 Line 7" and goes out to leader Cyril Jordan who is celebrating a birthday today.
Record geek showing off his Cyril Jordan autographed single...
14. Fist City...Buried...from their brand new La Ti Da single and they will be at Brennan's on monday night.
15. Fist City...Cryptic Transmissions...as above.
16. Ultra 5....My Only Desire...recorded live at The Electric Banana in London Ontario 11/29/92. Drummer Ken Anderson is coming back to London next friday in his acoustic duo, Hungrytown.
17. Pelt...Mr Tarantino...from Kingston Ontario and from a demo the band sent us about a year ago.
18. Familiar Fiends...Shut Up Little Man...from a 7" compilation from Brantford Ontario (about an hour east of London Ontario) and the first record from Brantford in many years.
19. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest single.
20. Lonesome Ghost...Haunted By God...from the Empty Church CD. Duo outta Aylmer Ontario, a tiny farming village just outside of London.
21. Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...from the Call Up The Devil CD. They are in town at Grooves Records for an instore on Sat Sept 7th at 2:30.
22. Mo-dettes... Dark Park Creeping...all female combo from the UK from 1980.
23. Bush Tetras... Das Ah Riot...from a 7" from 1981 from this NYC combo.
24. Dennis Most...He's A Whore...from the recent Instigate Me CD. Dennis is infamous for his Excuse My Spunk song from the late 70's.
Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages etc...Back next week at the same time for more noise!
The show is archived for a couple of weeks at this location:
Playlist Sept 6/2012
1. Cheap Trick....Hello There....from their In Color LP and a great way to start the show!
2. Telephathic Butterflies...A Final Word...from their Introducing CD on Rainbow Quartz.
3. Segarini... Gotta Have Pop...from his 1978 LP of the same name. Bob Segarini, formerly of The Dudes, Wackers etc gets in on the new wave with this powerpop LP.
4. The Fine Print...Get You Alone....from a cassette we released on Record Store Day 2010. Local power poppers who are big fans of The Kinks and The Who.
5. The Fine Print...Haunt You No More...as above.
6. Ultra 5...City Of Fire...from their House'O'Fun CD from around 1990. Drummer Ken Anderson is coming to London with his folk duo, Hungrytown tonight.
7. The Cheshyres...Carry The News....mid 80's demo that also features Ken Anderson. Singer Wayne Pattern moved to London and ended up in The Evil Hoodoos.
8. The Kards...Pipeline...from their Here's The Deal CD and they have their CD release party tonight here in London.
9. Budokan...For Badgeholders Only...from their recent Spin A Little Gold CD.
10. The noble Savages...She's So Serious...live track singer Rufus sent us.
11. Ultimatemost High...1 Of The 2...demo from about a year ago.
12. The Hook Up...Tantrum Girls Deserve To Die...from their Call Up The Devil CD. The Hook Up are in London on Saturday afternoon, 2:30 at Grooves Records.
13. The Hook Up...Driftwood...from their cassette C60 Go! that we released last year.
14. Ralph...I'll Remember...from his Sophisticated Boom Boom CD from 1997. Ralph has a show of his 1977 punk rock photos as the gallery in the train station in Brantford Ontario.
15. Terror Lake...Chitter Chatter...from a recent demo.
16. Laughing Sky...Electric Circus...from their recent Divine CD. NYC psych combo.
17. Walkin' Jacks...Summertime...from their recent Drop Dead CD.
18. Tyranna....Johnny...from their self titled LP on Rave Up Records. Late 70's Toronto punk combo.
19. Riff Randalls...Traitor Of The Heart...from their Doublecross LP i recently picked up at Speed City Records. Support your local record store as they are becoming extinct. Hits'n'Misses in Toronto is closing in a week or so.
20. Eliza and The Strange...Crack...from their self titled debut LP. They've renamed themselve Bloody Diamonds and are coming on Radio WW on Sept 27th.
21. Flamin' Groovies...Can't Explain...from a Skydog 7" from the early 70's.
22. Magic Christian...Let's Shake...recent single on Schizophrenic Records outta Hamilton Ontario.
23. The Damnsells...Legend...from their first 7".
24. Magic Christian...Teenage Head...the flipside of the Let's Shake single played above.
25. Evil Eyes...Good As Gold...from their brand new 7" EP. Outta Toronto.
26. The Raunchettes...Slaughter The Pig...from a 1985 single on Jargon Records outta Rochester NY. All girl punk combo and we sent this out to Rush (Prog trio out of Toronto) who deserve this as they insulted The Runaways back in 1977 when they were in Toronto. Girls can rock harder than Rush as The Runaways proved that night!! There's a hilarious interview with Rush in Beetle, where scribe Robert Village Idiot brings out the 'real' Rush! I'll find the link and post it sometime...And it's all Ryan In The Red's fault for bringing up Rush as he found a live Rush CD in the CHRW new releases and that got me a fuming as i really don't like Rush. To put it mildly....
27. catl...Gotta Thing For You as we had to fade this one out.
Thanks for all the phone-ins (I can only talk for a minute or 2, cause we're live on the air and i'm a one man show), emails, facebook messages and HEY's...
Back next week with more noise to annoy!
You can catch the archived show at:
Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 13/2012
1. Tranzmitors....A Little Bit Closer...from their brand new La Ti Da 7".
A well dressed Bryce Dunne of The Tranzmitors, Call The Office May 8/2011.
2. Radio Birdman... Murder City Nights...from the Radios Appear LP, late 70's. Guitarist Chris Masuak is coming to sleepy London Ontario Friday Sept 28/2012. Here's a link to the facebook event:
Three Canadian dates only...and probably a once in a lifetime event that you can't afford to miss.
3. Radio Birdman...455 SD....from the Living Eyes LP.
4. New Christs...Like A Curse...from the Detritus 12" and features Birdmen Rob Younger on vocals and Chris Masuak on guitar. The flip side of this, Born Out Of Time is one of the most wicked and honest songs ever!
5. The Hitmen...Don't Hit Girls...from the 78-82 LP and once again, Chris Masuak on guitar. Hopefully those 4 songs are enough to get you out to catch this legend of Australian punk, who oddly enough, was born in Canada.
6. Sammy Ambrose...This Diamond Ring...This is the original version of this 1965 number one hit by Gary and The Playboys. Who coincidentally i went to see last night. Entertaining show, but Gary's voice wasn't in the best form. They went through all the hits and Gary explained who wrote them and many other tidbits about the time period.
7. The Standells...Barracuda...from the Rhino Best Of LP and part of a 60's set.
8. The Yardbirds...The Nazz Are Blue...from the Over Under Sideways Down LP, original mono version, which to me, sounds WAY better than the stereo version.
9. Eliza and The Strange...Lady Of The Night...from their self titled LP that came out early this year. This band is from Halifax and are now known as Bloody Diamonds. They are coming to London Thursday Sept 27th, Black Shire Pub. Plus, they'll be doing a live to air broadcast right here on Radio What Wave that day! There'll be a facebook event going up for that shortly.
10. Eliza and The Strange...She Ain't Pretty...as above.
11. UIC...Pushed Into The Hole...from the unreleased Wiseman Sessions, late 80's. UIC were from Exeter Ontario, sometimes referred to as Hooterville (Petticot Junction TV show from the mid 60's reference).
12. Needles/Pins...Picture My Face...brand new La Ti Da single.
13. Chelsea Beat...Victim Of Circumstances...Montreal combo who have an LP on Brooklyn based Killer Diller Records.
14. Teenanger...Cops But Not Cops...from their recent Frights LP.
15. The Hook Up.... 65 Has No Blues...recorded live at Grooves Records, Sept 8/ 2012.
16. The Hook Up...Burnin'...from the recently remastered CD, Call Up The Devil. Next week we're going to have a member or 2 or 3 live on Radio WW to yammer about music and stuff.
17. Alligator Wine...Hidden Charms...from the Other Space Sessions download. Argentina fucked up blues/noise combo who just might have been listening to some early Simply Saucer.
18. Chris Spedding...Motor Bikin'..from the live Friday The 13th LP. Chris Spedding visited London a number of times in the late 70's/early 80's, but somehow i never got to see him. This version of Motor Bikin' is nowhere near as good as the version by Uranus which you will hear on the next What Wave cassette coming out Oct 26th.
19. Galileo 7...Anne Hedonia...from their about to be released LP, Staring At The Sound. Guitar player, vocalist and leader Allan Crockford was in The Prisoners, James Taylor Quartet, Thee Headcoats and many more legendary combos. For some reason his vocals remind me of Wreckless Eric.
20. Orrie Hit Machine...Slaving Meat Wheel....local combo and no other information is available....
21. Munday Nuns...recorded live at This Ain't Hollywood (coolest club this side of Toronto) June 3 2012. Re-united for one night only and for some reason i was deemed responsible. They fucking rocked!!!
22. Big John Bates...Wide Open Blues...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout download, Supercharged Sounds. Vancouver based rockabilly/Rhythm and blues style combo.
23. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....High Voltage...from It Came From Canada Volume 2. Probably my all time favourite Canadian rockabilly influenced combo! No, scratch that, the BEST FUCKING ROCKABILLY combo to ever come out of Canada!! And they were WAY more than rockabilly as they delved into swing, gospel, surf instros, ballads and tons more! And they were all really nice and cool guys!! Spent way too many hours yammering to guitarist Erik Sandmark about old cartoons and bad movies.
One of my fave pictures of Ray Condo!! Rena took this one at Call The Office, late 80's at one of their very few times to come to London. Canada's skinniest cowboy was absolutely psychotic once he strapped on his guitar and hopped up on the stage!
24. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest split 7". We're lucky to have a band like this right here in sleepy London Ontario, so get out and catch these guys live whenever you can.
25. The Living Deadbeats...Lost...from their self titled debut LP that came out this past summer. And they made 2 stops here in sleepy London Ontario!
26. The Johnnys...Motorcycle Mama...latest demo from this Toronto based combo who specialize in high energy late 70's punk.
27. The Chocolate Watchband...Milk Cow Blues...from the Now Way Out CD on Sundazed.
And that's a wrap, back again next week with a couple of The Hook Up members as they are in town for a little while. And the following week, Sept 27th we'll have The Bloody Diamonds on for a live to air.
Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and the HEYS!!!
You can find the podcast here:
Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 20/2012
Dave and Jaime of The Hook Up outside the CHRW doors.
On this show we had Dave and Jamie of The Hook Up, a soon to be Hamilton Ontario based garage/rock'n'roll/soul/surf/psych combo. They did a live to air on Radio WW back in the winter of 2011 and since there have been major changes in the band, it was time to get them back on Radio WW to yammer and play some tunes...
1. Nihilist Spasm Band...This Is A Test...great sound check from these local noise makers to wake everyone up and get the show on the road.
2. Burnin' Ethyl...Kittens With Lipstick...from the Rock'n'Roll Combustion CD from a few years back. Burnin' Ethyl will be at Call The Office tomorrow night as part of the Shakin' Katz Birthday Bash happenin' there.
3. The Black Frame Spectacle...A Line In The Sand...from the Grady Sessions CD and as above, they will be at CTO tomorrow night.
4. Duke Sedan and The Hightones...Real Cool Daddy...from their self titled CD from 2008. The Hightones have moved from the rockabilly sound heard here to more of a swing oriented sound.
5. Blue Cheer...Summertime Blues...from the Vincebus Eruptum LP and a request of the singer from 44i as they are also playing tomorrow as part of the birthday bash.
6. The Hook Up...Skin and Bone...recorded at Grooves Sept 8/2012.
7. The Hook Up...Nerves....as above.
8. The Hook Up...Burnin'...from the soon to be released Call Up The Devil CD.
9. The Hook Up...List Of Diagrams...as above.
10. 5 Royales...Summer The Slum...from a Charly compilation that Dave Hook Up brought in.
11. Detroit Cobras...Summer The Slum...from the SFTRI LP, Mink Rat Or Rabbit...30 or so years later and the same song.
12. Tom Jones...Evil...from a 3rd Man 7".
13. Spencer Davis Group...I'm A Man...from a 7" and goes out to The Reply from Toronto.
14. Bo Diddly...I'm A Man...from a 7"
15. Jerry Lee Lewis...Matchbox...from the Live At The Star Club CD that Dave borrowed from the London Public Library!
16. John Lee Hooker...The Motor City Is Burnin'....from a CD that Dave brought in...
17. T Valentine...Teenage Jump..from a crazy R&B CD compilation that Dave brought in...wish i could remember the name of it.
18. The Hook Up...Minstrel Man...from the Garagepunk Hideout Compilation, Noises From The Hideout.
19. Eliza And The Strange...Crack...from their self titled debut LP. This band is now called Bloody Diamonds and will be live to air next week on Radio WW. Then they play later on that evening at The Black Shire Pub.
20. Eliza And The Strange...Disease...as above.
21. Radio Birdman...Do The Pop....from the Radios Appear LP. Guitarist Chris Masuak will be at Call The Office on Friday Sept 28th, a show you can't miss!
Here's the link to the archived show:
Big thanx to Jaime and Dave of The Hook Up for dropping by to spin some platters and do some yammering about music. And as we found out, Dave and i were at some of the same shows over the years, long before we knew each other!
And next week we have our live to air with Bloody Diamonds, coming all the way from Halifax to play for you, the listener!
Radio What Wave Playlist....Sept 27 2012.
This was a special show as we had Bloody Diamonds in for a live to air. Bloody Diamonds are from Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the east coast of Canada on the Atlantic. London Ontario was one of their many tour stops and we got them for a double shot as they played onair and then put on a great show at The Black Shire Pub later that eve.
1. The Hook Up...List Of Diagrams...from their soon to be release CD, Call Up The Devil. We had The Hook Up on last week's show yammering about this CD and lots of other stuff.
2. Radio Birdman...More Fun...from the Living Eyes LP, 1978. Guitarist Chris Masuak is in sleepy London Ontario tonite to preach the rock'n'roll to us sinnners!!
3. Radio Birdman...Murder City Nights...from the Radios Appear LP...as above!!
4. New Christs...Born Out Of Time...from the Detritus 12"....possibly one of my all time fave songs!! This is boner material!!! Rob Younger is so fucking brutally honest on this one it slays me every time!!
5. Willie Alexander...Kerouac....from the Live at The Rat double LP from 1976. Willie should be in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame as he's more than paid his dues since the mid 60's. He's played in many a Boston combo, spent time in the Velvet Underground and is still active to this day. This is one of those mellow songs that always gets stuck in my noggin' and i start doing the sickly oooh oohhh out loud and get a lot of strange looks!
But the real reason i played this track, was as part of a tribute set to Sam Sniderman, founder of the record store chain, Sam The Record Man. A Canadian institute!! And one of the key figures in helping to promote up and coming Canadian bands! I bought this record at Sam's here in sleepy London back in about 1979 and it blew my mind!! So many cool Boston combos and my first hearing of DMZ and The Real Kids who have gone on to become 2 of my fave combos!! Thanx for bringing this record into Canada Sam!
6. Tom Wilson and The Florida Razors...New York City..I vividly remember seeing The Florida Razors for the first time at a place called The Firehall here in sleepy London Ontario. They blew me away with their straight ahead rock'n'roll from The Flamin' Groovies school of rock!! Became an instant life time fan that night, and next day i happened to see this single up on the wall at Sam's in London and it was mine!!! Tom Wilson is now a Canadian institution with Blackie and The Rodeo Kings and his former combo, Junkhouse. Sometimes he spots us in the crowd and yells out What Wave!! Kind of embarrassing as we're pretty low profile people.
7. The Beatles...Revolution...This is the first single i ever bought at Sam's in downtown Toronto at the flagship store. My parents took my sister and i to downtown Toronto and somehow we ended up at Sam's. It was probably me bugging the shit out of them to go into Sam's. Bought (or maybe my parents did???) this single and Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love single from the wall at Sams...needless to say, i was in heaven!! Charting singles at Sam's were a bit cheaper than our local K Mart and went for 66 cents back then. And that was a LOT of money to me back in 1968!
8. Bloody Diamonds...Monster....Live over the airwaves at CHRW...then Jake goes and breaks a bass string part way through the song! This is live radio and we work with whatever happens!!
9. Oily Birds...Second Cousin...not the song i wanted to play, but a good one nonetheless. Recorded live at Jimmy Jazz in Guelph Ontario, 4/28/12. Oily Birds are opening up for Chris Masuak at Call The Office Tonite (with a capital T!).
10. The Kards...Cry Just A Little...from the Here's The Deal CD. The Kards are at London Music Club tomorrow night.
11. Blue Demons...Beatnik Bandit...from their latest 7" on Boppa Do Down Records outta Toronto.
12. Bloody Diamonds...She Ain't Pretty....live over the airwaves.
13. Bloody Diamonds...Bright Lights Darling...live over the airwaves.
14. Bloody Diamonds...Baby Don't Be Nice....live over the airwaves.
15. Bloody Diamonds...They've Got Secrets...live over the airwaves.
16. Bloody Diamonds...Lady Of The Night...from their LP They've Got Secrets.
17. Bloody Diamonds...Monopoly...live over the airwaves and the end of our live to air presentation. Huge thanx to Bloody Diamonds for stopping by, setting up and playing live to air. It's a massive undertaking as they've gotta find CHRW, unload all of their equipment and cart it up to the station, get set up in a tiny room and do countless sound checks so everything sounds great to you, the listener. And once they're done, they've gotta cartload all of their equipment back to the van and rush to do a soundcheck!!
And a HUGE thanx goes out to the guys behind the scenes, the sound engineers, Alex and Chris who make everything sound so nice over the airwaves!!!
18. Black Flag...6 Pack...from a 7" and to plug the Raymond Pettibon exhibition that opened that eve at McIntosh Gallery on the campus of Western University. For those interested, there's many many early Black Flag posters on display at the gallery.
19. The Ventures...Guitar Freakout...from the LP of the same name. Picked this one up way back in 1967 at our local K Mart and it still sounds good 45 years later!! That 60's vinyl was tough and took a lot of abuse from my tiny foldup record player back then! This goes out to Nokie Edwards who suffered a heart attack last week while on tour in Japan. All the best Nokie!! And he is a member of the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame!
20. The Snails...Satisfaction Guaranteed...from their brand new self titled CD on Action Records outta Greece. We like Action Records as they put out our LP, Thee Cave Comes Alive..songs from the What Wave Fanzine tapes back in 2004.
21. Flying Squad...Godzilla...demo from the late 80's that just might appear on our next cassette coming out Oct 26th at the Graphic Underground London 1977 to 1990 exhibit. Had to cut this one short as Ryan In The Red was taking over the airwaves with his Freak Out!!
Back atcha next week with more noise that annoys. Huge thanx to Bloody Diamonds, and they put on a KILLER show at Black Shire that night!! I shoulda made a recording of that show...
Here's a link to the archived shows:
The above links should work....issues with the CHRW website, so use these links for now.
Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 4/2012
1. Bloody Diamonds...Lady Of The Night...from the They've Got Secrets LP that just came out. Big Thanx to Bloody Diamonds for playing live to air last week on Radio WW!! And a great show that eve at the Black Shire Pub!
2. Rocket From The Tombs...Final Solution...from the Life Stinks LP. RFTT is heading to This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton this coming sunday eve. Only show in Canada!
3. Oily Birds...Born To Lose...recorded live at Jimmy Jazz in Guelph. The Oily Birds have a show on saturday night at the St Regis Hotel here in London.
4. Cordcalling...When I Scream...from their CD of the same name, Cordcalling play tonight at The Black Shire Pub.
5. Pack AD...8...from their latest LP, Unpersons. Pack AD play Call The Office on Oct 13th. This song is filled with venom and hate and they usually dedicate it to me at live shows...
6. The Gruesomes...Get Outta My Hair...from their first LP, 13 Unlucky Hits, which has just been released on green vinyl on Groovie Records from Greece. Limited pressing of 800, but you should be able to find it or mailorder it.
7. Evil Farm Children...Brain Buffet...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout CD called Garage Monsters. We've had Evil Farm Children here in London many a time and they always put on a great show!
8. The Snails...Pollution...from their recently released self titled debut CD. It's on Action Records outta Greece.
9. Cile Turner...Crap Shootin' Sinner...from the compilation LP, Stompin'. Picked this up at Star Records in Oshawa the other day. Haven't been to Star for a few years and it's still the same, stacked with cool records!! For those that don't know, Oshawa is just east of Toronto and Star is well worth a stop if you're in the area!
10. Angry Samoans...Inside My Brain...from the 1980 EP of the same name. Angry Samoans are supposed to play Call the Office on this coming Wed night.
11. Angry Samoans...I Lost My Mind...from the 1990 LP. STP Not LSD LP.
12. Apecassette...Ambiguous...from the Stupid CD. 2 piece art/noise combo from Windsor Ontario who opened up for Bloody Diamonds last week.
13. Jehosaphat Blow...Oh Ya Oh Ya....download from this one man band who seems to move constantly.
14. Certain General...Hello My God...from the 1982 12" called Holiday Of Love. Certain General were based in NYC and had Londoner Marcy Saddy (X B Girls) on drums. They came up here in August of 1981 and played several shows while on vacation here. This is the start of our London only show to help promote our big event coming up on the weekend of Oct 26th, Graphic Underground London 1977-1990. The rest of the show is London bands from that era...with almost all of the songs being unreleased.
15. Boy From Nowhere...Slow Death...live at Call The Office 3/1/86. London's first 60's/70's garagepunk combo who only played cool cover songs.
16. B5 Blue...It's My Pride...recorded live at Mortz's, early 90's. Boy From Nowhere morphed into B5 Blue and still only played cover songs, but did it with style and finesse!
17. UIC....Cracked Actor...recorded live at Key West Cafe 11/16/87. I don't even remember UIC doing a David Bowie tune, but here's the proof! And i musta heard it as i taped this show! Key West Cafe was a small upstairs bar that would pack people in for real rock'n'roll, which UIC specialized in!
18. Flying Squad...Lewd Behaviour...late 80's demo from this band that you either loved or hated, nothing in between! Biker rock long before it became acceptable!
19. Terminals...Billy Stick Totin' Jerk...from their only cassette, We Kill. Terminals were probably the first punk band in the city to adapt to the faster hardcore sound that started in the early 80's. They were instrumental in bringing many out of town bands to play in sleepy London Ontario.
20. Redline...Mystery Dance...recorded live at Fryfogles June 1983. Redline were more of a commercial new wave type of band than punk. Fryfogles is long gone, and it was host to many cool combos, among them; Panther Burns, John Cale, Black Flag, Flipper, The Professionals, Stranglers, 999, Rezillos, DOA and TONS more!! We did a special on Fryfogles a year or so ago on Radio WW and talked about the venue and played many of these bands and more.
21. The Generics...Someday...basement demo, but this song was included on their only 7". Buncha snotty kids when they arrived on the scene, but they certainly proved their worth!
22. Radio 4...Is God A Man...early 80's basement demo recorded by Chris Richards. Radio 4 evolved into Sheep Look Up.
23. Sheep Look Up...Jumper...from their early 80's cassette. This is one of those bands that coulda and shoulda, but just didn't! Their early demos are just amazing as can be heard here.
24. Legend Killers...Gunpowder...from their 1989 7" on What Wave Records. All of the above local bands will be on the 90m cassette tape we're releasing with What Wave zine 24 due out Oct 26th at Graphics Underground London 1977 - 1990 opening night.
That's a wrap, thanx for all the phone-ins and emails. We're back next week with an all local show, playing music from about 1977 to 1990 in preparation for the Graphic Underground London show.
Here's links the archived show:
Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 11/2012
1. Nick Curran...Kill My Baby...from the Reform School Girl from 2010....Nick passed away last weekend, only 35 and WAAAAYY too young. A guy who actually understood rock'n'roll and was playing it in 2012!! And one of the blackest sounding white guys ever!!!
2. Hank And Frank...Nancy Sinatra...demo from the late 80's and was also on a What Wave cassette back then. Possibly the greatest song (Ok, one of my faves) to ever come out of London!! Hank is the Singing Bookman, Frank is from Uranus, Sci-Phonics and currently solo around London Ontario. This is the beginning of our all London show to help promote the Graphics Underground London 1977 to 1990 show and exhibit happening on Oct 26th weekend. And we'll be releasing WW 24, the all London issue that weekend as well. It comes with a 90m cassette of London only combos from about 1978 to 1992.
3. Uranus...Secret Agent Man...from a live to air on CFNY in May 1980. Uranus are one of the 4 bands re-uniting on Oct 27th at Call The Office.
4. Uranus...Uranium Rock...recorded live at The Embassy Hotel, 3/22/82 and broadcast on CHRW back then.
5. The Sci-Phonics...I'm Ready...recorded live at The Key West Cafe, 3/11/87. The Sci-Phonics included a couple of members of Uranus and used to gig all around town from about 1984 to the early 90's. They reunite every few years and always put on a good show. The Key West was located on the west side of Talbot, right around where the Nite Owl presently is. Key West hosted a TON of cool bands...ie Gruesomes, Deja Voodoo, Plan 9, Cheepskates, Flying Squad, The Fuzztones, Hysteric Narcotics, Flaming Lips, UIC, Purple Toads, Shadowy Men and many many more.
6. Sci-Phonics...Marie Marie...recorded live at Wortley Roadhouse and featured both Jerry Fletcher and Jack Whiteside on guitars, a very rare occurrence as Jack replaced Jerry many years prior to this performance.
7. Uranus...You're So Square...1980 single that made it into the top 10 charts across Canada.
8. Uranus...53 Buick...from their very first self released single.
9. The Mongrols...The Day She Died...1987 demo of this 3 piece that opened for many touring bands in their 3 year existence. Led by Trelvis and they morphed through many name changes; Royal Mongrels, Ungone and a couple other names. Not to be confused with the present day Mongrels from London...who are also quite cool!
10. The Mongrols..Play My Guitar...as above. This song was on a WW cassette back then.
11. The Mongrols...Plastic Girls...from the 7" EP, Four Whom The Bell Tolls, 1988, which came with WW # 16.
12. Drowned Hampsters...Politix...from the 1984 LP, The 'P' is For Political. London Ontario band with no connections to any other band in this city...a mystery band that released an LP and disappeared.
13. Nihilist Spasm Band...Test Recording...from probably the longest lasting band in London history, having formed in the mid 60's and still going to this day. Noise that you love or hate.
14. Hot House...Burn It Down...from the 1978 LP of the same name. They used to play the Cedar Lounge a fair bit and would call themselves aggressive rock. They self released this LP back in 1978.
15. Redline...IRA...Sept 1983 demo. Commercial new wave band from London that played around the bars...this original showed they could do a lot more than just cover tunes.
16. The Demics...New York City...from the Talk's Cheap EP. Probably the most well known punk tune to come out of sleepy London Ontario. And ironically, the song is about trying to escape sleepy London...
17. The Demics...Grey and Black...from the NYC CD on OPM records which collects a bunch of live and demo Demics recordings.
18. The Demics...400 Blows...as above.
19. The Demics...Blue Boy...recorded in Toronto in 1980.
20. Jack Whiteside...I Won't See You No More...from the Demics Covers CD that original drummer Nick Perry released back in 1998. Jack was in Uranus and many other bands.
21. Keith Whittaker...I'd Kiss You Honey...from his solo CD, Drink To Me that came out in 2007 on Bullseye Records.
22. The Hippies...How You Gonna Live...from their only single which came out around 1983.
23. The Hippies...9th...1983 demo when they had renamed themselves Tenement 13.
24. The Hippies...CanTeens...as above. This song will be on the cassette that comes out with WW #24.
25. Boy From Nowhere....What It Is...recorded live somewhere...Boy From Nowhere evolved out of The Hippies, with Jon Traut taking over the vocal duties....had to shorten this one as Ryan In The Red was about to start his Freakout show.
Next week we continue with more local noise from the late 70's up to the early 90's.
Graphic Underground London 1977-1990 is happening in London on Friday Oct 26th with the art opening at Forest City Gallery. Bell time is 7PM and it will be a licensed event. On display will be posters and zines from London from that era.
Then on Saturday Oct 27th, at Call The Office, will be the official opening night party. Featuring 4 London bands from that era, re-uniting for one night only....Uranus, NFG, The Zellots and The Enemas. Bands should be starting around 9:30 PM. We'll also have some big screens showing pictures from the time period.
Here's a link to the archived show:
Radio What Wave Playlist Oct 18/2012
The continuing saga of the Graphics Underground London 1977-1990 story as we play only London Ontario bands from about 1978 to 1990. The Graphics Underground show happens the weekend of Oct 26th, with the art show opening on friday and the party at Call The Office on Saturday Oct 27th...Uranus, The Zellots, NFG and The Enemas re-uniting for one night only.
We were given the go ahead to start about 20m early, so we played the first 4 songs from the about to be released cassette, Slippery's Club Hits, which comes with What Wave #24 which will be released Oct 26th...
1. 63 Monroe...At The Boot...recorded at the Cedar Lounge, Easter 1980. This song is a celebration of the good times we had at the Cedar Lounge.
2. The Stoves...Slow Down...recorded live at the Cedar Lounge, May 1979.
3. Uranus...Motorbikin'...live to air from CFNY May 1980.
4. Spiral Scratch...Still Rockin'...recorded live at the Cedar Lounge fall 1981.
And here's where we start our regular show.....right around 6PM so the faithful few can listen to my usual fuckups on the radio....
5. Peter Tangredi... Life Is A Passion....from The Demics Covers CD that came out in 1998. A song that tells what reality was like back in the late 70's...fucking aerosmith, foghat, pink floyd and worse ruled what passed for radio back then. You couldn't walk down the street looking like a punker without being verbally and/or physically hassled. Shouts of 'Hey Devo' were expected...why Devo? I have no fucking clue, but that's probably all the rockers could comprehend for the music we dug. Now anyone can walk down the street with a pink mohawk, stud covered leather jacket and facial tattoos and no one will give you a second look....
6. Legend Killers...Beg...demo from 1986 not long after they first started. The only band to appear on EVERY compilation we've ever released...something like 11 cassettes, a 7" EP and 2 LP's. And this is why!
7. Legend Killers...Stepping Stone...as above.
8. Legend Killers...You'll Get Yours...from the Better Than Hammerin' EP that came out in 1989 on What Wave Records.
9. Legend Killers...Baby Sitter...from a CD they released when they reformed about 10 years ago where they collected a bunch of songs they released over the years.
10. UIC...New Rose...recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/85. You can find some of the songs from this gig up on youtube...you might see a younger version of me dancing up front by the stage.
11. UIC...Our Garage...title song from this LP from 1986 on Fringe Records.
12. UIC...Pushed Into The Hole...from the 1989 Wiseman Sessions that were issued in an extremely limited edition many years ago. Someday they may come out on vinyl...
13. UIC...Green Lady...from the 1989 LP, Live Like 90 on OG Records.
14. The Zellots...On The Dole...recorded early 80's at the Kent Hotel in Kitchener Ontario. Probably recorded by Peter Moore, the big name producer who presently does all kinds of mastering, TV documentaries, producing, etc....
15. The Zellots...Blades...from the Japanese CD, You Only Get 1 Shot At The Big Time...on Wizzard in Vinyl in 2006.
16. The Zellots...Let's Play House...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 8/17/81 for a wedding.
17. Crash 80's...Waiting For The Heat...only 7" this band ever released...1980.
18. Regulators...What's In The City...from their only 7" on Ready Records. For Jeff Morritt, singer/guitarist who passed away recently.
19. Regulators...Sherry Share It...recorded live at the Polish Hall 11/2/79. The Polish Hall was used and abused at many gigs in the early days of the London punk rock days.
20. Second Thoughts...Wound Up...from their one and only 7" 1980.
21. Finks...Can't Say No...from their only single, mid 80's. These guys actually got airplay on CKSL AM here in London....something that just doesn't happen to indy bands...ever!!
22. Redline...Brand New Cadillac...recorded live at Fryfogles June 1983. Fryfogles jumped onto the new wave/punk band wagon fairly early, entertaining artists like The Stranglers, DOA, Bopcats, John Cale, Panther Burns, 999, Vice Squad, The Professionals and many many more.
23. The Stoves...So You Say...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge May 1979.
24. The Stoves...Just My Style....as above.
25. Radio 4...We Are The Architects...from a basement recording...early 80's.
26. Sheep Look Up....Burning...from their first release, a cassette from 1983.
The saga continues on Tuesday Oct 23rd at 3:30 PM as we do yet another special on London's early punk/new wave/whatever scene...on CHRW 94.9FM. Then we continue again next thursday at the usual time.
Thanx for all the call-ins on this show!! And remember, next week is fund raising week here at CHRW so please pledge some $ to help us purchase new studio equipment....
Here's the podcasts: